Cooking Eating Dining Sharing

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Best of Japanese Food~Kirala

The Best Japanese Food in the Bay Area

Kirala, an East Bay/Berkeley institution, is my favorite Japanese Restaurant in the bay area.  Since we do not have one single Japanese restaurant in Sonoma, I am forever craving it.  When I was living in the East Bay, I thought nothing of scooting over to Kirala for a quick lunch after or before grocery shopping at Berkeley Bowl nearby.  So, a few weeks ago, we found ourselves going to a show in Oakland and of course, I found a way to eat at Kirala.  The restaurant does not disappoint.  The food is the very best quality served in a casual atmosphere. Prices are very reasonable.  The service is attentive and the food is served promptly and in the order in which you expect it to arrive.   The kitchen has this routine down. 

Most people think of sushi when dining out at a Japanese restaurant, however, I hardly think to order it because of all the other delicious choices.   I am much more likely to order Nabeyaki Udon (a delcious broth with a raw egg that cooks while you break it up in the hot broth, a tempura shrimp, bean cake, bamboo shoots and mushrooms on a cool dayor Oyako Donburi (Chicken over rice~ or in Japan the mother and the child).   Their robata grill churns out delectable tasty treats, of which we tried, the most amazing grilled quail, grilled scallops and spicy sardines that I have had anywhere. 
This appeals to me more than little bites.  However, having now said that, I have had delicious spicy shrimp tempura roll and tempura asparagus rolls and other tasty sushi here as well.  It is some of the best I have ever had, including in Toyko.

About five years ago or so, they opened a small take out kiosk located in the Epicurious Garden marketplace on Shattuck near Chez Panisse, in Berkeley.  It is a treat to be able to take something home and quickly reheat it, or eat it out back on their wooden benches, when you don't have time for a full sit-down lunch or dinner. 

This restaurant is a favorite for us all.  My kids ask for it when they come home from college, as they did the other day, so we are heading back to Kirala for a farewell dinner for our daughter before she heads to Europe for the summer and before our son heads back to NY.   Thank you Kirala for serving delicious food to the communities of Oakland and Berkeley, I am forever grateful.  I hope you can try it out the next time you crave Japanese food, you won't be disappointed.  Happy Cooking and Eating!

1 comment:

Jen Cheung said...

ohhhhh myyyyy! Looking at this makes me think I need this for my dinner tomorrow! I'm a japanese food loverrrrRRR. slurp slurp! I need some right now actually. hehe

jen