Cooking Eating Dining Sharing

Thursday, March 4, 2010

March LUNCH AT ZUNI CAFE


Dining at Zuni Cafe is a religious experience.   Besides the high windows and ceilings and oddly shaped rooms that lead to other rooms and stairways, it is a veritable rabbit warren of cozy spots with natural light coming in at every angle.   I love it! 

Since its inception some 25+ years ago, I have been a regular customer.  Twenty-three years ago this month, after getting married at City Hall my husband and I walked here and had lunch with about ten friends.  It is our favorite place.  It has always been delicious, always fresh and inventive and yesterday was no exception.

While lunching with my mother we had some memorable dishes that I want to share with you:  A bright salad of Blood Orange, Sunchoke, Fresh Parsley and Marash (a mild red pepper flake) with a ginger vinaigrette.  It was zesty from the ginger, sweet from the oranges and a little crunchy from the sunchokes.  A nice winter combination.    The Tagliatelle with Nettles, onions and pecorino sardo was herbaceous and the pasta was cooked perfectly al dente.  The Potato and Leek Soup, my mother's favorite soup, was a hearty peasant style and chunky with potatoes.  The flat pizza was scrumptious with sausage and arugula, but so tasty I ended up eating the two pieces leftover when I got home.  Too good!~  Go see for yourself and Bon Apetite!  www.zunicafe.com 





2 comments:

sweetlife said...

wow sounds great, love all the pics!!

sweetlife

Tokyo Terrace said...

The pasta dish looks divine! Wish I could have some right now!